China: Adventures Discoveries Amusements

Thursday, February 21, 2013

Badminton~ a Chinese sport of Champions




Unfortunately I have not nailed down a gym in my new neighborhood, but I have picked up a habit that brings me many more laughs and even a bit of cardio: badminton. My crew of my close friends has started meeting regularly every Thursday night to duke it out on the court with rackets and a birdie.

American sports are all about impact- we love the crush of football. In contrast Chinese prefer sports like volleyball, badminton, tennis and ping pong- all games where a net limits aggressive interaction between teams. But don’t let your guard down- Chinese are fierce competitors at whatever they set their minds and flexible flicking wrists to do. Mark my words, they will slay you in badminton in minutes.

Just tonight I gaped wide-eyed as my friends and I plunked the birdie around our court and the Chinese doubles next to us engaged in a stunning duel. Our shots soared and arched, landing wherever they pleased as we contorted our bodies in odd and embarrassing ways attempting various swings.  Their birdies bulleted across the net targeting hard to reach sweet spots. The players were so elegantly athletic they looked casual.

What is more the courts are always packed! Badminton is often considered goofy backyard game in the US, but here in Beijing it is a very popular past time and athletic endeavor. We reserve our court days in advance and work up a decent sweat trying to imitate the smooth finesse of our Chinese counterparts on the surrounding courts. Every week our shots get better and we have enough laughs to smile all evening, but in a gym full of Chinese pros we are still only child's play ! 

1 comment:

  1. Badminton is weirdly difficult! And you're right about the different sports preferences... my Chinese driver's ed teacher would always remind me I'd never be as good at volleyball as the Chinese girls haha

    ReplyDelete